Saturday 14 July 2007

Joy that seeks me through pain

O love that will not let me go
I rest my weary soul in Thee
I give Thee back the life I owe
That in thine ocean depths its flow
My richer, fuller be

O Light that followest all my way
I yield my flickering torch to Thee
My heart restores its borrowed ray
That in thy sunshines glow its day
May brighter, fairer be

O Joy you seek me through the pain
I cannot close my heart to thee
I trace the rainbow through the rain
And feel the promise is not vain
That morn shall tearless be

O Cross that liftest up my head
I dare not ask to fly from thee
I lay in dust life's glories dead
And from the ground there blossoms red
Life that shall endless be.


My first morning in London this song was sung at the intern meeting I went to after being picked up at the airport. At the time I was majorly jetlagged, tired, hungry, and feeling very numb in many ways. I let the song just wash over me and listened as everyone else sang it. Then about a week later I stumbled on this song again in my iPod. It's an old, beautiful song and while I sat listening to it I had the greatest feeling of peace.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is one of my absolute favorite songs -- I love the Indelible Grace version with the walking bass! (I also love my recording of Joe Novenson singing the old version...) = )