Monday 9 June 2008

Project Blue #5



I can't say enough how much I'm loving Euro Cup right now! From watching the Italy vs Holland game today I was inspired to pull out my sister's Italia bag to try see if I could get a good shot of it for Project Blue. I'm not particularly in touch with my Italian heritage and I'll be the first to admit it. I don't speak the language, I've never been to the country, I don't know my Italian relatives, I know nothing about the culture etc. etc. etc. In other words I'm an American! I would one day like to learn the language and visit the country. One of my best friends is Italian and her dad chooses to only speak to me in Italian which I can understand but because I'm fluent in Spanish... It's a shame that so many Americans aren't at all knowledgeable about where they've come from. My great-grandfather immigrated from Italy and none of his grandchildren or great-grandchildren speak the language or are at all in touch with their Italian side. We speak english, spanish, portuguese and french... notice something wrong with that? In a way I feel a certain way when my sister starts bragging to someone about being Italian and proclaiming her Azzurri pride- have you visited the country? No. Do you speak the language? No. Well then what makes you Italian? The Italian blood in your veins... Should that be considered enough? There are many Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans etc. who speak little to no Spanish, but I'm fluent at 18 in a language no one else in my family speaks and I've been to Spain and Mexico where I've had to speak the language everyday... does that make me more Latino or Spanish than them? As Americans what defines our heritage? So often we claim a nationality we have no right to. As for me, I'm an American and that's what I'll always be. I'm not proud of it but right now I can't change that. Maybe one day I will but for now it's the only thing I rightfully can claim.

2 comments:

Robert said...

Anna,
For what it's worth, I think you SHOULD be proud of it. We are a melting pot of cultures which is a great thing. But like you, I often felt I couldn't be proud of the American part of me. But now I am. I too, am Italian. Half at least. I don't speak the language either. I love the food. Does that count? Ha ha. My identity is not wrapped up in where my grandparents were born. I love the family history, the culture, etc. but it's not what makes me. I'm proud to be an American. Not a hyphenated American. Additionally, we adopted our daughter from China. She is an American citizen. We are raising her to be proud of who she is. If she wants to pursue her Chinese heritage, wonderful. We'll encourage it. But we won't force it. Ultimately, I want our identity as a family to be seen in God rather than with a geographical location or group of people.

Having said all that, you captured a GREAT picture for Project Blue. Even if it is about soccer and not baseball. See how I'm adapting? Great job in the picture and great writing too. :)

Anna said...

Great blue shot Anna! And I love your writing! :) Similar to what Robert said...I am proud of my heritage (both American and German) but my true identity is in Christ who sees me as His beloved child.

Miss you!